Between 2006-2010 there where approximately 11,640 home fires that were started by candles. These fires cause about 126 deaths, 953 injuries and approximately $438 million in property damage. Most of this was preventable. Proper candle care is very important.

Here are a few tips to make sure you follow when using candles:

  • Trim the wick to one-quarter inch. That prevents the flame from becoming too large.
  • Consider using battery-operated or electric flameless candles and fragrance warmers, which can look, smell and feel like real candles – without the flame.
  • If you do use candles, ensure they are in sturdy metal, glass or ceramic holders and placed where they cannot be easily knocked down.
  • Avoid using candles in bedrooms and sleeping areas.
  • Extinguish candles after use and before going to bed.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
  • Set a good example by using matches, lighters and fire carefully.
  • Children should never be allowed to play with matches, lighters or candles.
  • Never use a candle where medical oxygen is being used. The two can combine to create a large, unexpected fire.
  • Always use a flashlight – not a candle – for emergency lighting.
  • Never put candles on a Christmas tree.
  • And NEVER leave burning candles unattended!

Candle fires are very preventable when candles are used right. Please be careful when using them.

more information:
http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/PDF/candlefactsheet.pdf
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500170_162-2387597.html