The idea of moving into a new home is exciting and comes with many decisions to make. One of the top 10 decisions homeowners face is whether or not to have the carpets cleaned before you move in.
Carpets are an integral part of any home.
Carpets provide comfort but also act as a protective layer for the flooring underneath them. If you have pets, kids, or enjoy cooking then your carpets will likely be exposed to spills and other types of messes that can lead to bacteria growth. Regularly cleaning your carpets is vital in order to keep them fresh and free from stains or odors. The best way to do this is by using a professional carpet cleaner who has experience with all types of materials used in home flooring today.
When you buy a new home, it’s important to have the carpets cleaned before moving in.
We all know that our carpets, whether it be in the living room, dining room, or bedroom can quickly become dirty and smelly. But did you know that not taking care of your carpet could lead to serious health issues? Carpets are not just for decoration; they can be a breeding ground for bacteria, dust mites, and allergens. There are many benefits to having your carpet professionally cleaned before moving in.
“Carpets are not just for decoration; they can be a breeding ground for bacteria, dust mites, and allergens.”
Carpets are one of the dirtiest parts of your home. If the previous owners had children, pets or both, it’s not uncommon for them to track in a good amount of dirt and debris every day. The best way to keep your carpets clean is by having them professionally cleaned before moving in. Not only can professional cleaning help prevent stains from setting-in but they will also remove odors that typically come with living with kids and animals! Click here for a list of health benefits that come with carpet cleaning.
You can hire a professional carpet cleaner or do it yourself with these steps:
- Perform a pre-inspection before moving in. Often time you can ask your seller to include a carpet cleaning credit during the negotiation process.
- Always thoroughly vacuum your carpet
- Pretreat any stains with a mixture of equal parts distilled white vinegar and water. Mix and combine the ingredients into a spray bottle to make it easy to apply to the stains. Spray the stains with the solution and blot them with a terry cloth towel.
- Fill your carpet steam cleaner with hot water and add detergent. Be sure to follow the directions for dilution and adding the right amount of detergent. Mixing incorrectly can cause premature staining from too much detergent or worse cause damage to your carpets. If you don’t own a carpet steam cleaner, you can rent a machine from your local home improvement store.
- Plug in the steam cleaner, power it on and start cleaning in the farthest corner of the room. Work your way to the exit so you won’t step on the damp carpeting.
- Continue cleaning until the rooms and areas are cleaned. Empty and refill your water and solutions tanks as they become filled with dirty water
- Turn on the central air, if possible and set fans in each room to provide circulation to dry the carpets. Without fans carpets can stay wet for too long.
Consider professional carpet cleaning.
To revitalize your home prior to move-in, consider hiring a professional carpet cleaning company. Carpets that might have looked fine when first saw them may look much worse once the furniture is removed and you can see stains and other spots. Some stains and marks can occur during the moving process, too. Debris scatters as rooms are emptied, and the final rush of packing may leave the home in less-than-optimal condition for buyers. A thorough carpet cleaning will make all your hard work worthwhile! AND if you are a seller looking for sell your home, click here to learn how professional carpet cleaning can help you sell your home quicker!
If you need help with any other questions about cleaning your carpets after moving into a new home, give us a call! We’ll be happy to answer any questions that come up when looking for professional carpet cleaners in Northern Illinois. We offer free quotes so contact us today!