WHAT IS PET DANDER?
Furry friends and pets like dogs and cats are great companions, but they can be the main culprits in house hold allergies. These furry animals and their skin produce proteins that become airborne, often times creating allergic symptoms in homes. These airborne particles, smaller than pollen grains and dust mites, remain suspended in the air for extended periods of time. The misconception is that it is the hair from the animal is what causes allergies. Rather, it is the dander that causes allergic reactions. Even pets who do not shed can produce dander.
WHERE IS PET DANDER FOUND?
Pet dander and allergen levels are, of course, higher in homes where pets are present. Surprisingly, areas like schools and offices can also have low amounts of pet dander and allergens typically brought in from people who have animals at home.
WHAT CAN BE DONE TO DECREASE ALLERGENS AND PET DANDER?
The best solution, although not so rational, is to remove the pet(s) from the home. BUT, we are animal lovers. So, we’ve come up with a list to help you relieve allergic symptoms.
- Reduce dander in your home by keeping your pet(s) outdoors as much as possible.
- Keep pets away from bedrooms where people with allergies or asthma sleep.
- Children with allergies should wash their hands thoroughly after visiting or petting animals.
- Keep pets in areas with carpeting. Carpets act as filters and help trap dander and other allergens.
START WITH BEDROOMS
- Wash all bedding including blankets, sheets, and pillow cases
- Replace pillows with allergen proof covers.
CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN
- Replace the air filters for your furnace or air conditioner regularly.
- Thoroughly vacuum the carpets with a Hepa Filer Vacuum. (How Often Should I Vacuum?)
- Clean and wipe down walls with electrostatic cloths like such as Swiffers.
- Have your carpet cleaned regularly by a professional carpet cleaner. (carpet cleaning Dekalb, IL click here)
REDUCING ALLERGENS IN THE HOME CAN BE EASY
By following the steps listed above, you can begin to have relief from per dander and allergens. Remember to minimize contact, start with your bedrooms, and clean clean clean!
For Carpet Cleaning Dekalb, IL 60115 you can call us today!