Tips to Keep A Great Looking Rug
Just like the other flooring in your home, area rugs need proper attention to stay looking nice. Cleaning your area rugs regularly and addressing stains in a timely manner will go a long way toward keeping them in great shape. Here are 10 tips for area rug cleaning.
- Spot clean rugs the moment spills happen so they don’t set in. Most stains are easier to remove while they’re still fresh.
- Make sure any spill isn’t absorbed by the flooring under the rug. Place a towel underneath the rug while you work on it, or carefully move it to another surface.
- Remove any spilled solids from your rug with the non-serrated side of a butter knife. Be sure to work gently because you don’t want to smear the stain or drive anything further into the rug’s fibers.
- Absorb wet stains by laying a white cotton towel over them (dyed cloths may transfer color).
- Never rub or scrub at a stain–the stain will inevitably spread, making it bigger and harder to remove. Rubbing could also damage the rug’s fibers, cause it pill or become fuzzy, or even create a hole. Always blot spills instead.
- Placing a clean, dry towel over a spill with something heavy (like a jug of cat litter or a door stopper) on top will absorb any moisture left after spot treatment.
- Dingy-looking rugs may simply be holding on to loose dirt, so vacuum them regularly–two to three times a week in high-traffic areas such as entryways and halls. Doing so will keep the dirt from getting ground into the fibers and your rugs will last longer.
- Repel pet hair from Fido’s favorite rug by spraying it with laundry static-remover spray.
- Some old, brittle rug stains can actually “remove themselves”–fold the rug in toward the stain (right at the center of the stain) and rub the two sides together (each side of the stain facing the other) until the stain crumbles.
- Many different spot cleaners are available, but you may want to think twice before using them–they can sometimes leave behind traces of chemicals that attract dirt.
If your rugs are looking rough despite all your best efforts, we can help! Clean USA offers professional, quality area rug cleaning that will make those stains history. Contact us today!